Who Is The Owner Of WordPress

truevagabond

Please tell me who is the owner of wordpress and i see that about 99 percent of the wordpress blogs are free so does the word press makes money. Do the owners of wordpress have an other business with which they sponsor this free adventure.

Can some body make me understand this analogy of offering free softwares. I am specially interested to know more about Wordpress and its owners and how he started and now how he is able to support himself till this day.

Wordpress makes money through offering upgrades to its free software. In the free Wordpress software, you do not have the ability to edit fonts or the CSS, but for an upgrade you can. Many of the people who use the free software are willing to pay that to get those bonus features, myself included. They also make money through the ads that they put on the websites that they make. Also, if I had to take a guess, I'd say that they make a decent amount of money in donations as well, since they have such a large community and internet presence.

Wordpress makes money through offering upgrades to its free software. In the free Wordpress software, you do not have the ability to edit fonts or the CSS, but for an upgrade you can. Many of the people who use the free software are willing to pay that to get those bonus features, myself included. They also make money through the ads that they put on the websites that they make. Also, if I had to take a guess, I'd say that they make a decent amount of money in donations as well, since they have such a large community and internet presence.

I think you are talking about WordPress.com and the op is referring to WordPress.org.

WordPress.org is open source software. That means no one really owns it. There are several people that develop it but the code can be modified by anyone. Some people will develop plugins and charge money for them, but most do it for credit in the community. Just like a lot of the themes are free but then there are some that are paid for.

So no one really owns WordPress. You can download it and modify the code anyway you want to fit your needs. That is the beauty of open source software.

As said before, Wordpress.com and .org are different. The .com is for free blog making (like Blogger from Google). The .org is a open source website framework that is free. So it's like asking, who owns Linux :p

Back