How do you verify ownership for Google Webmaster?

dconklin

I have a webmaster account and all of my Blogger blogs are verified, but I have not been able to verify my Wordpress blog. It is a self hosted blog and I have tried to upload the file that Google gives you into my hosting account, but Google seems to not recognize any time I add it. I know with Blogger you can just edit the template, but Wordpress seems to be quite different and I am still trying to learn it as I go.

I have the Analytics app through my hosting account so I am able to use that, but for some reason I am just not able to get it verified for Webmaster Tools. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it verified? It won't let me use my Analytics verification for the Webmaster either, I was hoping it would!

Do you have access to the header template in Wordpress? If not, you might try looking for a plugin that adds custom meta tags.

You can ethier do it by adding in some code in your header or downloading a file from your Analytics account and uploading to your root directory.

Do you have access to the header template in Wordpress? If not, you might try looking for a plugin that adds custom meta tags.

I was able to get it this time, thank you! Yes I finally saw that I could go in through Wordpress and edit only my header which is easier then Blogger - Blogger you can't pick out just the header. It was driving me crazy as I kept getting the recommendation to upload the file instead of editing the header. Every time I tried to upload the file, it said not verified. I am good with the HTML, I just wasn't able to figure out how to get to and edit it. Too much to learn and too many options with Wordpress to learn it overnight. But I like it better and now I am verified :)

Back